Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Crafty McCrafterson

I regret that the next blog post took so long to post. With a husband out of town, for a full week, it literally took me three days to take pictures of my finished product. Seriously, some days go by and I have no idea what I did all day long but I know I had no time to do anything. Sound familiar?

Anyway, while I don't consider myself homemaker-ly, I definitely can't sew or knit, I have finally come into my own craftiness. I'm proud to say that I'm a whizz with a glue gun, although you must note: no craft of mine will stand up to hurricane force gales. It's held together by hot glue and a little "here's to hopin". All of my ideas have been stolen from Pinterest. I am not an original and when I do go out on originality it almost always crashes and burns and once it has stopped smoking, gets thrown in the trash.

So I have always experimented with the easy/non-expensive end of crafting, a little wreath here...




A felt nativity there...


Fun cake decorations over there...

 

Nothing monumental or risky. 

So a few weekends ago when I stumbled upon these beauties:


I decided to take the plunge and try out something a little larger and that couldn't get thrown in the trash if it goes south. 

They had a price tag of $15 and $25 respectively and when I asked the lady if she was serious and did the mirror come with the $25 price tag, her response was, "Do you want it to??" I went all Napoleon Dynamite on her and answered, "HECK YES!" So $40 later, these two were sitting in my back yard ready to get chalk painted.

So, as it is with any of my craftiness these days, nothing takes a short amount of time to do. Which is totally fine, as is life right now. It's a start...stop... put away...almost start again...don't touch that...rush...finish... sort of process. So when I had a free moment, Rory and I hopped on down to Rule 42 and talked to the girl there who helped me choose two fun chalk paint colors for these bad boys. Teal (eek!) and a yellow for the inside of the drawers. Although I love bright colors and wish I decorated with them more, I'm a little scared it's going to turn out looking like a carnival, so I have traditionally stayed away from anything other than browns, soft blues or greens. So this teal and yellow thing is huge for me.

Two coats of the teal, and two coats of the yellow.... Next two coats of the gloss finish... and viola!


Now the dilemma was the drawer pulls. While they were ok, I wanted some fancy ones. Nothing seemed to work. So I spray painted them with a hammered blackish and I think they look decent-ish.

Once all settled in their new home in our bedroom, I got a little nervous, because, well, ya'll, they're TEAL. But now that I'm used to them, I love them. Now onto the rest of the bedroom makeover! Who wants to go to World Market with me?






No comments:

Post a Comment